Thursday, October 14, 2010

Looks Can Be Deceiving

One of these dishes may not appear as appetizing as the other. But, believe me, today's lunch tasted splendid. The sumptuous details below:
  • salad (lettuce, arugula, purple carrots, sweet peppers)
  • salad dressing
  • homemade chicken fried rice with diced purple onions (bok choy, spinach, peppers, carrots)
  • fat-free vanilla yogurt with dried cranberries
  • no pudge brownie
  • mixed berry compote
Oh heavens, work was a killer today! I didn't even have a chance to eat my desert. In fact, once I saw the way the tide was turning (in the direction of more work chaos) I decided to save it until I got home. I'm savoring it as I type this.

Anybenny, my S.O. rustled up a spectacular fried rice last night so we could use up some frozen veggies and our fading bok choy from our CSA haul almost a month ago. We use the frozen brown rice from Whole Foods for all our rice dishes. Have I mentioned that before? Sheesh! I sound like someone from those old time tv and radio show commercials. Just casually dropping product placements in the middle of a conversation. But I bring up the rice because it is really convenient but I'm not sure it's so cost effective. It takes a hundred years to make brown rice the normal way. So the frozen stuff is definitely saves us time. But would it be a helluva lot cheaper to do it the long way? The stuff I get from Whole Foods is $2.99 for a 20 oz. bag. I wonder if I could make a big pot of rice and freeze it for like $0.89. Aww, the musings of a cheapskate!

No comments:

Post a Comment