Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Spoiled for Choice


This is what was waiting for me when I came home this evening. We get our CSA share every other Tuesday and, to be honest, it is always met with a little bit of dread. My boyfriend and I decided to do the CSA for a few reasons: fresh seasonal produce, it's cheaper in the long run than buying vegetables piecemeal, it's good for our bodies and our community. Most importantly, it was to help me overcome what I affectionately call my eating disorder.

I can't eat certain vegetables. It's not that I'm allergic to to them or they make me feel sick, it's just that I have a MAJOR problem with texture. So far, I've been able to conquer my fear of eating many squishy/baby diaper colored foods (butternut squash I'm looking at you), but every other week I'm faced with at least one item that makes me bristle. This week...beets. I'll admit that this is the third time we've got beets in the share. Each time I gave them away to a more gastronomically adventurous friend. But now I feel compelled to at least taste them. Ugh, what should I do? I can't bear the thought of actually putting even a sliver of those vile blood drenched bulbs in my mouth!! What measure of starvation and hopelessness led to the discovery that beets were edible? I bet some cave woman was on the verge of eating her own arm when she grabbed some leaves to cover her future wound and noticed some dirt covered balls at the end of the leaves and took a bite of it. When she didn't die and her hunger was somewhat subsided, she evolved, turned into "everymom" and forced her children to eat beets.

Anyway, let's focus on what I can eat: broccoli, corn, dill, lettuce, leeks, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes and zucchini. I don't even know where to begin. Breakfast and lunch (and dinner, for that matter) are going to be great for the next couple of weeks.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - wouldn't have a clue what to do with the beets! Maybe use a recipe finder to find a way to disguise them, I use this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ - might do the job!

    Also hi, I'm Carol, from Ireland! I'm a new reader - directed from Sheryl's blog, and a fellow WW'er so will definitely be stealing ideas for lunches - deleted my previous comment as had posted by mistake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roast the beats as H-woman said...
    Or I personally like to grate them with carrots and add shredded cabbage and some diced celery.. a different sort of choleslaw!

    (I found you through Sheryl's blog too, I imagine there will be a few of us)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a beet fan. I like to roast them with quartered new potatoes - toss them with a bit of olive oil and dried oregano.

    I used to feel the exact same way about beets but eased myself into them with canned baby beets. I would take them out of the can and chill them for a few hours in the fridge and then put together a salad of some sort and top them with the baby beets. My favourite is baby spinach, dried mejoola dates, chopped up, the beets. You could add nuts to that (i'm allergic) and it would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh beets are wonderful. Canned beets, not so much.

    You can roast beets with some olive oil, or just boil them (with the skins on, so much easier to remove after they've been cooked) for about 30 minutes. Dice them up and toss them in a salad. A little bit of beets (1/2 cup, IMHO) goes a long way. I have also grated them and put them in a salad raw. It's a more subtle flavor and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I used to hate beets! Wouldn't even eat off a plate of mixed salads that a portion of beets had been removed from! And yet....I love them now! They really have to be fresh, so sounds like you have that covered ;) Peel then grate them raw, add finely chopped scallions, then season with a fine mustard-y vinaigrette sauce.... yum!
    There are also recipes around for chilled beet soup you might like to try...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beets! Yea!

    I dig them but my husband was horrified by them for the longest time, so I started gently when introducing them to him after he decided he wanted to try them. I second roasting as a good start, but I'll interject a little tip. Slice them thin, using a mandolin or knife, spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt...bake them at 375 until crisp and voila-uber healthy beet chips that are sweet, earthy, crunchy and a great snack or topping for salad (ooohhh, or spread a little goat's cheese on them)

    ReplyDelete