Monday, January 10, 2011

Muffin Mania

What a way to start the week. Homemade treats and fresh veggies. The jumpstarting detail below:
  • whitefish and egg salad sandwich on light whole wheat bread
  • froze pineapple chunks
  • vegan pumpkin apple spice muffin
  • CSA carrots
  • TLC pomegranate & walnut fruit and grain bar
I roasted, pureed, and baked my brains out yesterday. I know I should be eating all of the gourd vegetables in their whole form, but I just can't do it. The texture is just too...yuck! So I decided to use them for good instead of evil and turn them into desserts for my lunch. We got a small pumpkin and an acorn squash in last CSA box (over a month ago!) and they were threatening to go bad if I didn't do something with them. So I made muffins. I even used one of the apples we got from our most recent CSA. I thought that maybe I could get over my cooked fruit aversion if I made it myself.
I ended up picking out all of the apples. Eh, I'm a work in progress.

I adapted the recipe from this one. I used 2 cups of unbleached white whole wheat flour and only 1 cup of all purpose flour. I also didn't use any oil because I didn't think it really needed. Plus, I had more than 16 oz. of pumpkin puree so I didn't think moisture would be an issue. Oh! Something I found interesting was that roasted pureed pumpkin really doesn't look the way we think of it (dark orangey/brown) until you add all those spices. It was a yellow/orange color before that. Anyway, you live. You learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment