Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gobble Gobble

A portion of last night's dinner made its way into my lunchbox again today. It was delicious! Plus a little makeshift dessert.
  • turkey bolognese with whole wheat rotelle pasta
  • 2 small blood oranges
  • sugar snap peas
  • 1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt with 1 teaspoon Mexican hot cocoa mix on top
So many new (to me) items today. I went to Trader Joe's the other day and picked up some random stuff. Most of them were things I knew I would like (dried cranberries, clementines, low-fat cheddar slices). I took a chance on the blood oranges and the their frozen turkey meat sauce. I'm not a pasta fan so I usually only eat it when it's covered with meat and/or cheese. This stuff made the pasta way less yucky and was much healthier than what I could have done with it.This is not my photo. I lifted it from here.

Success! The blood oranges were sweet and juicy. As you know, I'm somewhat of a citrus snob so I'm always a little wary of buying oranges outside of my hometown. Also, even at home, blood oranges were a bit of a rarity and I didn't grow up eating them. When I tried them in the past they were sort of sour and dry. Not these babies. Juicy and filling.

The final newbie was that sprinkle of Mexican hot cocoa mix on top of my yogurt. Genius! Try it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment