Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mexican Wednesday

Today was a back-of-the-freezer day.  Luckily, I had something that fit in with the International Week theme that I created last night.

  • TJ's Black Bean & Corn Enchilada
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar & jack cheese
  • green salad with red bell pepper
  • tangerine
Nothing special.  I had to add a little cheese on top of these enchiladas because I can't support the "dairy free" enchilada movement.  Ok, maybe it's not exactly a movement.  But enchiladas are supposed to be cheesy.  It's the law!  Anyway, it wouldn't have mattered if I drowned these enchiladas in cheese because they were not very tasty.  Super salty and the sauce was gloopy.  I guess I buy these ready meals for an emergency lunch on days, like today, when fresh food is running low and we want to eat up whatever we have.  Oh, but it's a drag to eat this stuff.  I know I have other options, like buying lunch at one of my favorite sandwich shops (I'm looking at you, Pret).  But I can't bring myself to buy a lunch when I know I  have the ability to pack something.  I've got to get better at choosing my emergency lunch items.

We had our office holiday party tonight.  (Hence the after midnight post.)  It was at a really great barbecue restaurant and I had a little bit of everything.  The best part was taking a doggie bag home.  Now I've got to figure out how to shoehorn leftover Mississippi barbecue and grilled salmon in this international theme.  

1 comment:

  1. My emergency go-to lunch involves hard boiled eggs, cheese, crackers, carrot sticks with a dip of some kind, and/or apple slices. I almost always have apples, cheese of some kind, water crackers, carrot sticks, and eggs on hand. The dip could be salad dressing, peanut butter, or hummus; all things I generally have around. It doesn't take long to boil an egg or two (and they don't have to be watched, really), but even at that I try to keep a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge most of the time. They're good for so many things!

    Meanwhile, I very much agree with you about enchiladas and cheese.

    ReplyDelete