Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Hello! Well, I've officially caught stupid royal wedding fever. Ugh, I'm usually immune to bugs like this but not matter how much I tried to steer clear of those who were infected, it still managed to get me, via the TV. I'm sat here on the couch watching some Entertainment Tonight tell me about Kate's floral choices. Yeah, it's got me bad. Anywho, I digress.
  • turkey meatloaf
  • broccoli
  • red grapes
  • light cheddar cheese stick
  • romaine lettuce, carrots, bell peppers
  • balsamic vinaigrette (not shown, I forgot to put it in the picture)
Well, I know I declared that I was allergic to carrots last week, but I really don't think I'm going to stop eating them. They are just too good. I'll limit myself to just 1 a day. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to eat a carrot a day, it just means that I can have one when I want to. I was telling Mr. Man about my carrot rationing this morning and he was not too pleased about it. Especially since I made the morbid joke that the nerdiest way to die is from eating carrots and since I'm probably the nerdiest person alive, it would sort of be a poetic way to go. Anyway, I'm not going to off myself for a bunch of carrots.

Speaking of my big hunk o' man, he made that there turkey meatloaf and it was another humdinger. Oh, that reminds me. Here is the recipe for the garlic chicken he always makes:

Garlic Chicken

  • 1 chicken, 3-4 lbs cut into 8 serving pieces (trimmed of excess fat)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 heads of garlic, separated in cloves
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or any herb)
Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken and cook, turning frequently, until well browned. 7-10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the pan. Add the garlic cloves and saute over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.

Transfer chicken to a slow cooker. Sprinkle with thyme and add the garlic mixture. Cove and cook until the chicken is tender and opaque throughout, 3 hours on the low-heat setting.

The recipe comes from Williams Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking.

If you try it out let me know. I'm sure you'll see it here again sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds good. And don't beat yourself up re royal wedding fever. Hey, there are worse things to get excited over - like stupid reality TV!

    ReplyDelete