Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Kid On The Block

I have totally succumbed to my salad obsession. This week I ditched all my other usual lunch components and made a "big salad" every day thanks to a fancy new bowl.

As you can see, Ricky had to assure Fred that I wasn't going to abandon my beloved bento all together. Consider this sort of like a summer fling (that came just slightly after summer).
My salads were meatless this week since I've been kind of going overboard with fattening foods lately. I don't really miss meat when I eat salads anyway because I think I'm starting to develop a texture issue/food aversion to "wet meat" so it's better that I keep it out of any potentially wet environments. Basically, I don't like it when my chicken/fish/beef slime gets on my crisp fresh lettuce. I know, I'm weird. I'm working on it!
The basics of these salads are, well, basic:
  • mixed lettuces
  • red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
  • sugar snap peas
  • broccoli florets
  • feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans
  • balsamic vinaigrette dressing
I cook the sugar snap peas and the broccoli for a minute and half in the microwave and then spread them out on a plate and pop them in the fridge for a few minutes to cool off while I chop up the pepper and measure out my salad dressing.

Oh! So, I bought the bowl from this lunch spot called Just Salad because I saw someone else in my office with it. I forgot to bring my lunch one day (it happens) and decided to order one of these fancy NYC salads and have it delivered straight to my office. Ooh la la! Needless to say I was sorely disappointed. The lettuce was all manky because they chopped it up so much that it started to wilt. The vegetables were all soupy and droopy and it cost almost $10! So, I guess I paid for the bowl and the lesson: Don't forget your lunch anymore!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like my salads chopped either!! Wet salad meat makes you rage. Wet / wilted lettuce makes ME rage!!!

    BTW, do you have an aversion to Quinoa? Because the Quinoa Mango & Arugula salad on the WW website is AWESOME. I swapped out the almonds for a cup of black beans. Same pts plus values, but more protein/fiber & bulk. Just store the arugula separately and add to the salad before serving so it doesn't wilt!

    ReplyDelete